Australian-Coins Forum

Australian Coins, Banknotes and Exonumia => Australian Decimal NCLT => Topic started by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:20:13 PM

Title: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:20:13 PM
I got a 1966 proof set today. The 20c and 5c are both stunners. Heaps of purple for those that way inclined.

(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20rev_zps8ec511bc.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20rev_zps8ec511bc.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv_zps318b5330.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv_zps318b5330.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv3_zpsbdb5280f.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv3_zpsbdb5280f.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv2_zps7398eef7.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv2_zps7398eef7.jpg.html)

(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5rev_zps97f8cebf.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5rev_zps97f8cebf.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5obv_zps54761a61.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5obv_zps54761a61.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5obv2_zpsa4609f57.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5obv2_zpsa4609f57.jpg.html)

Im gonna be flipping this set. From people's experience is it better to sell as a set or individually??
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 02:24:55 PM
You'll do far better to slab them but failing that selling them individually would be the ticket.The last set I bought cost me $190 but the 50c had a few marks on it so I flipped it for $152 and kept everything else.People may just need 1 coin to finish a set so will pay more
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:29:08 PM
I dont think they would slab very well steve. The 50c has a nice rev but the obv is a dog. The others have some light milky or black spots but are still a bit better than average.
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 02:40:41 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36349' dateline='1386302348'I dont think they would slab very well steve. The 50c has a nice rev but the obv is a dog. The others have some light milky or black spots but are still a bit better than average.

Yeah that does make it a bit tougher.When I was buying 1966 proof sets there were times when I would get a set with a few dogs in it so after a few sets I could make up a complete set of dogs and would them sell it.I would keep doing this until I had perfect sets but you may just have to flip the whole set if you aren't looking to keep any
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: trout on December 06, 2013, 02:42:14 PM
sell them individually :ok:
These sets are prone to toning and spotting also they rattle about in that open case and are often scratched in the process.
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 02:46:39 PM
Jim's probably right,I see that there are a few coins listed on ebay and most of them have spots so the good ones are generally kept and the crap sold off
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:48:06 PM
Alrighty individually it is. Thanks guys. Any idea what the 20c might fetch?
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36353' dateline='1386303486'Alrighty individually it is. Thanks guys. Any idea what the 20c might fetch?

Looks like it has a sctatch behind the queens head but you might get
$50 I would hope if buy now but might go $30-$40 at auction
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:55:13 PM
Thanks steve. Will list em up tonight.
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 02:57:06 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36355' dateline='1386303913'Thanks steve. Will list em up tonight.

How much did the set cost you?
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: enworb on December 06, 2013, 02:57:51 PM
$165 mate
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: stevo1962 on December 06, 2013, 03:04:35 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36357' dateline='1386304071'$165 mate

Yeah you should do OK
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: trout on December 06, 2013, 07:18:45 PM
Be careful how you list em Matty.
I listed a 1966 proof PR66dcam PCGS last weekend and only got $26 for it :cray:
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: lacey on December 06, 2013, 07:54:30 PM
so the queen has finally joined the blue rinse set.  I can't wait, lol but got a few years to wait yet.
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: runway on December 06, 2013, 10:47:40 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36347' dateline='1386301813'I got a 1966 proof set today. The 20c and 5c are both stunners. Heaps of purple for those that way inclined.

(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20rev_zps8ec511bc.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20rev_zps8ec511bc.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv_zps318b5330.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv_zps318b5330.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv3_zpsbdb5280f.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv3_zpsbdb5280f.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/20obv2_zps7398eef7.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/20obv2_zps7398eef7.jpg.html)

(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5rev_zps97f8cebf.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5rev_zps97f8cebf.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5obv_zps54761a61.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5obv_zps54761a61.jpg.html)
(http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q772/enworb5/5obv2_zpsa4609f57.jpg) (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/enworb5/media/5obv2_zpsa4609f57.jpg.html)

Im gonna be flipping this set. From people's experience is it better to sell as a set or individually??
Beautiful photography skills :yahoo:
Title: RE: Pretty Purple Proofs
Post by: dcoin on December 06, 2013, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: 'enworb' pid='36349' dateline='1386302348'I dont think they would slab very well steve. The 50c has a nice rev but the obv is a dog. The others have some light milky or black spots but are still a bit better than average.

Agree, those coins will come back 63-66 with pcgs, unless they would come back 68-69 or 67 (50 cent) it isn't worth it, doesn't mean they aren't nice coins though.