Australian-Coins Forum

Trading Forums => Archived Buy / Sell / Trade / Wanted Threads => Topic started by: purplepennyhunter on October 04, 2012, 01:25:42 PM

Title: CLOSED - Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 04, 2012, 01:25:42 PM
I have a mountain of old ACR magazines that are in excess of my requirements. When I say a mountain I mean a mountain.

I've been trying to complete a set and pickup any wherever whenever and recently had the opportunity to acquire another 10 boxes.

Some are in excellent condition, some are ex-library and some are a bit torn or have had things cut out of them or have been written on but for example just looking for a january 1984 copy for my library I had a choice of about 4.

There are some from the 60's, lots from the 70's, mega loads from the 80's, some from the 90's and not-so many from the noughties.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy for them to go to a good home for postage cost only. If you have a list even better!
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: markn on October 04, 2012, 01:28:15 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1185' dateline='1349322942'I've been trying to complete a set and pickup any wherever whenever and recently had the opportunity to acquire another 10 boxes.

I know someone who sits next to me who is trying to complete a set and has some missing perhaps you have them?  Oh wait, that's you.:icon_redface:
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: Mister T on October 04, 2012, 02:06:56 PM
Where are your sources that you're getting 10 boxes in one go?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 04, 2012, 03:14:50 PM
A collector passed away and I happened to be along the line of giveaways of which I am very much appreciative. I hope those magazines above my requirements can go to a good home at minimal postage cost.

I've almost got my collection complete, just missing
May 1969 ACR
March 1993 345 ACR
May 1993 347 ACR

and most 2000-2001 CAB's
Yearbook Dec 2002
Yearbook Dec 2003
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: Mister T on October 06, 2012, 07:25:26 AM
Lucky you. My collection is only just over half way there.

What specifically are you missing from the 2000 - 2003 period?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 06, 2012, 02:13:11 PM
I've been trying to decipher the numbering system for early CAB magazines. :-/

This is my need-list:
All inclusive
If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

1996 Dec No 2
1997 Feb No 4 to 1997 June No 8
1997 Nov 13
1998 April Vol 2 No 5
1998 July Vol 2 No 8
1998 Sep Vol 2 No 10 to 1998 Nov Vol 3 No 1
1999 Feb Vol 3 No 3 and Mar Vol 3 no 4

1999 Aug Vol 3 No 9 to 2001 Nov Vol 4 No 16
This is the huge missing section, I'm even not certain how the numbering goes, was there even an issue each month?

2002 Dec/Jan Vol 5 No 11
2003 Dec/Jan Vol 6 No 11
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: Mister T on October 06, 2012, 02:37:23 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1254' dateline='1349498591'1999 Aug Vol 3 No 9 to 2001 Nov Vol 4 No 16

I've got a few in that range (no duplicates though) and the numbering is a little strange. I think volume 4 started in July 2000.
Remind me next weekend and I should be able to give you some more specifics.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review
Post by: chookcity on October 06, 2012, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1254' dateline='1349498591'I've been trying to decipher the numbering system for early CAB magazines. :-/

This is my need-list:
All inclusive
If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

1996 Dec No 2
1997 Feb No 4 to 1997 June No 8
1997 Nov 13
1998 April Vol 2 No 3
1998 July Vol 2 No 8
1998 Sep Vol 2 No 10 to 1998 Nov Vol 2 No 12
1999 Feb Vol 3 No 3 and Mar Vol 3 no 4

1999 Aug Vol 3 No 9 to 2001 Nov Vol 4 No 16
This is the huge missing section, I'm even not certain how the numbering goes, was there even an issue each month?

2002 Dec/Jan Vol 5 No 11
2003 Dec/Jan Vol 6 No 11

Hi PPH,
In ref to your want list - Vol 2 April is No 5 not 3.
November 1998 is Vol 3 No 1 not Vol 2 No 12.
As for spares I'll have to dig a bit deeper into the spare room and see what's there. Wish me luck.

Chook
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 06, 2012, 05:00:58 PM
On the point of the Coin and Banknote magazine, how many issues have there been altogether?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 06, 2012, 06:06:06 PM
Thanks Chook, I gave adjusted my wantlist above. There isn't a clear pattern with some of the volumes.

Good luck in the spare room.......see ya next year? Don't get lost.

Mister T. How many CAB's? Good luck too with that question.
Oh but wait. My catalogue says 179 issues, could that be right?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 06, 2012, 07:34:07 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1260' dateline='1349512566'Mister T. How many CAB's? Good luck too with that question.
Oh but wait. My catalogue says 179 issues, could that be right?

Maybe. I think since 2001 (not completely sure) it's been a constant 11 issues per volume with one volume per year.
Before that, not quite so regular.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on October 07, 2012, 10:23:44 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1260' dateline='1349512566'Thanks Chook, I gave adjusted my wantlist above. There isn't a clear pattern with some of the volumes.

Good luck in the spare room.......see ya next year? Don't get lost.

Mister T. How many CAB's? Good luck too with that question.
Oh but wait. My catalogue says 179 issues, could that be right?

I'm back, You must be psychic. How did you know my spare room is another entrance to Narnia? I never know when or where I'm likely to emerge. Lol.
Unfortunately I didn't find my miss-spent youth but I did find you some CAB's.
Issue 5 March 1997
Vol 3 No 13 1999 Year Book
Vol 3 No 14 Feb 2000
Vol 3 No 15 Mar 2000
Vol 4 No 1 July 2000
Vol 4 No 3 Sept 2000
Vol 4 No 4 Oct 2000
Vol 4 No 13 Aug 2001
Vol 5 No 11 Dec 2002 Year Book

PM me your preferred address and I'll pop them in the post.

Cheers,
Chook
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 08, 2012, 08:21:10 AM
:thank_you::sun_bespectacled::yahoo::winkextra:

pm sent
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on October 10, 2012, 08:04:04 PM
:thank_you:3 Packages arrived together today. Excellent, Thank you very much.....
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 10, 2012, 08:44:31 PM
So, for those who have piles of these magazines, what's the cheapest and most space-efficient storage solution?
I'm currently using 4-ring binders which conveniently fit a year's worth of magazines but inconveniently seem to be the most expensive kind of binder.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on October 11, 2012, 10:59:30 PM
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='1386' dateline='1349864071'So, for those who have piles of these magazines, what's the cheapest and most space-efficient storage solution?
I'm currently using 4-ring binders which conveniently fit a year's worth of magazines but inconveniently seem to be the most expensive kind of binder.

A four drawer filing cabinet.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 12, 2012, 07:08:08 AM
I use these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marbig-Magazine-Holder-Boxes-4-Pack-Desktop-Workstation-AA80050S-/190618373285?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Office_Supplies&hash=item2c61bd8ca5#ht_1617wt_1166) from officeworks or Kmart, found it the cheapest way. I reinforce them with tape and trim the tops for the shorter issues so I can lower the shelf to fit more in the bookcases! The front of each is labelled with the years but they should be labelled by volume to easily use the indexes. I have a couple of bound volumes (they take up so much less space) so  it would be nice to eventually come across a bound set or look into getting mine bound.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 12, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
Chooky so very kindly braved the spare room for lost CAB magazines to fill the void in my library. Received today, thank you Chook :read::grin::dance2:
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on October 12, 2012, 03:03:13 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1444' dateline='1350006036'Chooky so very kindly braved the spare room for lost CAB magazines to fill the void in my library. Received today, thank you Chook :read::grin::dance2:

:birthday:
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 13, 2012, 05:55:44 PM
Okay, for the Australasian Coin and Banknote magazine numbering, this is what I've been able to work out:
November 1996 = Number 1
? 1997 = Number ?
? 1997 = Volume 2 Number 1
October 1998 = Volume 2 Number 11
November 1998 = Volume 3 Number 1
June 2000 = Volume 3 Number 18
July 2000 = Volume 4 Number 1
December 2001 = Volume 4 Number 17
February 2002 = Volume 5 Number 1
December 2002 = Volume 5 Number 11
11 per volume, volume per year from here on

Anyone know what the ? are?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 13, 2012, 06:22:16 PM
I wonder how this copy and paste will work?
      Volume   Number
1996   Nov      1
1996   Dec      2
1997   Jan      3
1997   Feb      4
1997   Mar      5
1997   Apr      6
1997   May      7
1997   Jun      8
1997   July      9
1997   Aug      10
1997   Sep      11
1997   Oct      12
1997   Nov      13
1997   Dec/Jan   2   2
1998   Mar   2   4
1998   Apr   2   5
1998   May   2   6
1998   Jun   2   7
1998   Jul   2   8
1998   Aug   2   9
1998   Sep   2   10
1998   Oct   2   11
1998   Nov   3   1
1998   Dec/Jan   3   2
1999   Feb   3   3
1999   Mar   3   4
1999   April   3   5
1999   May   3   6
1999   Jun   3   7
1999   Jul   3   8
1999   Aug   3   9
1999   Sep   3   10
1999   Oct   3   11
1999   Nov   3   12
1999   Dec/Jan   3   13
2000   Feb   3   14
2000   Mar   3   15
2000   Apr   3   
2000   May   3   
2000   Jun   3   
2000   Jul   4   1
2000   Aug   4   
2000   Sep   4   3
2000   Oct   4   4
2000   Nov   4   
2000   Dec   4   
2001   Jan   4   
2001   Feb   4   7
2001   Mar   4   8
2001   Apr   4   9
2001   May   4   10
2001   Jun   4   11
2001   Jul   4   12
2001   Aug   4   13
2001   Sep   4   14
2001   Oct   4   15
2001   Nov   4   16
2001   Dec      4   17
2002   Feb   5   1
2002   Mar   5   2
2002   Apr   5   3
2002   May   5   4
2002   Jun   5   5
2002   Jul   5   6
2002   Aug   5   7
2002   Sep   5   8
2002   Oct   5   9
2002   Nov   5   10
2002   Dec/Jan   5   11
2003   Feb   6   1
2003   Mar   6   2
2003   Apr   6   3
2003   May   6   4
2003   Jun   6   5
2003   Jul   6   6
2003   Aug   6   7
2003   Sep   6   8
2003   Oct   6   9
2003   Nov   6   10
2003   Dec/Jan   6   11
2004   Feb   7   1
2004   Mar   7   2
2004   Apr   7   3
2004   May   7   4
2004   Jun   7   5
2004   Jul   7   6
2004   Aug   7   7
2004   Sep   7   8
2004   Oct   7   9
2004   Nov   7   10
2004   Dec/Jan   7   11
2005   Feb   8   1
2005   Mar   8   2
2005   Apr   8   3
2005   May   8   4
2005   Jun   8   5
2005   Jul   8   6
2005   Aug   8   7
2005   Sep   8   8
2005   Oct   8   9
2005   Nov   8   10
2005   Dec/Jan   8   11
2006   Feb   9   1
2006   Mar   9   2
2006   Apr   9   3
2006   May   9   4
2006   Jun   9   5
2006   Jul   9   6
2006   Aug   9   7
2006   Sep   9   8
2006   Oct   9   9
2006   Nov   9   10
2006   Dec/Jan   9   11
2007   Feb   10   1
2007   Mar   10   2
2007   Apr   10   3
2007   May   10   4
2007   Jun   10   5
2007   Jul   10   6
2007   Aug   10   7
2007   Sep   10   8
2007   Oct   10   9
2007   Nov   10   10
2007   Dec/Jan   10   11
2008   Feb   11   1
2008   Mar   11   2
2008   Apr   11   3
2008   May   11   4
2008   Jun   11   5
2008   Jul   11   6
2008   Aug   11   7
2008   Sep   11   8
2008   Oct   11   9
2008   Nov   11   10
2008   Dec/Jan   11   11
2009   Feb   12   1
2009   Mar   12   2
2009   Apr   12   3
2009   May   12   4
2009   Jun   12   5
2009   Jul   12   6
2009   Aug   12   7
2009   Sep   12   8
2009   Oct   12   9
2009   Nov   12   10
2009   Dec/Jan   12   11
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 14, 2012, 10:18:03 AM
Should 1997   Dec/Jan   2   2 be 1997 Dec/Jan 2 1?

edit: Okay, maybe not, but when was volume 2 issue 1?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 14, 2012, 01:54:37 PM
Hmmm I can't answer that right now. My spreadsheet tells me I have 1997 Dec/Jan but it's not on the shelf where it should be. But then I have ACR's and CAB's all over the house right now.
Oct 97 is definately Issue 12
March 98 is definately Vol 2 No. 4
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 15, 2012, 01:59:04 PM
Thank you Mister T my new CAB arrived today. I  just checked the tracking on your box as well and it's awaiting your collection.

If anyone else is interested I still have many many ACR's and CAB mags happy to come and sit on your bookshelf for postage costs only. Yes that means FREE everyone, you just pay the postage.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 16, 2012, 07:20:25 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1507' dateline='1350185077'Hmmm I can't answer that right now. My spreadsheet tells me I have 1997 Dec/Jan but it's not on the shelf where it should be. But then I have ACR's and CAB's all over the house right now.
Oct 97 is definately Issue 12
March 98 is definately Vol 2 No. 4

Let me know if you find out.

Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1546' dateline='1350271744'Thank you Mister T my new CAB arrived today. I  just checked the tracking on your box as well and it's awaiting your collection.

Excellent, and thank you very much again. Just picked them up today.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 17, 2012, 06:47:40 PM
Quote from: 'purplepennyhunter' pid='1507' dateline='1350185077'Hmmm I can't answer that right now. My spreadsheet tells me I have 1997 Dec/Jan but it's not on the shelf where it should be. But then I have ACR's and CAB's all over the house right now.
Oct 97 is definately Issue 12
March 98 is definately Vol 2 No. 4

HA!!! I was looking for Carlisle and there it was, on the wrong shelf. Dec 97/Jan 98 is Vol 2 Issue 2.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 17, 2012, 08:52:50 PM
Okay, thanks. So you don't have the November 1997 issue then?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on October 18, 2012, 07:02:47 AM
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='1637' dateline='1350469370'Okay, thanks. So you don't have the November 1997 issue then?

No but I do have Oct 1997 which is Issue 12, then Dec/Jan is Vol 2 No 2 so Nov 97 must be Vol 2 No 1.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on October 18, 2012, 05:20:03 PM
Okay, thanks. That seems to all make sense now.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on December 02, 2012, 09:46:04 AM
So I've done a stock-take of my Australian Coin Reviews and have some more numbering questions. Is there a May 1995 issue? The numbering suggests no. Also, I have an April 1996 which actually seems to be a May 1996 according to the table of contents. Is there an actual April 1996 issue? Again, the numbering suggests no.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on December 02, 2012, 10:42:02 AM
I am also missing May 1995 and April 1996. Does make one wonder. :scratch_one-s_head:
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on December 02, 2012, 11:10:59 AM
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='4225' dateline='1354403764'So I've done a stock-take of my Australian Coin Reviews and have some more numbering questions. Is there a May 1995 issue? The numbering suggests no. Also, I have an April 1996 which actually seems to be a May 1996 according to the table of contents. Is there an actual April 1996 issue? Again, the numbering suggests no.

My May 1996 Issue has May printed on it and it's got a sticker over it with April 1996 on it.

I also don't have a May 1995, the numbers suggesting there isn't one 370 April, 371 June.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on December 02, 2012, 11:22:43 AM
My April 1996 issues both had May 1996 stickers on them (though I peeled the stickers off) as well as saying May 1996 on the inside.
purplepenny, does your May 1996 say May 1996 in the contents page?

Quote from: 'chookcity' pid='4227' dateline='1354407122'I am also missing May 1995 and April 1996. Does make one wonder. :scratch_one-s_head:

Yeah it does. There's a few mis-numberings late in the piece which is confusing. Do you have a May 1996?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: chookcity on December 02, 2012, 11:30:02 AM
Quote from: 'Mister T' pid='4236' dateline='1354409563'My April 1996 issues both had May 1996 stickers on them (though I peeled the stickers off) as well as saying May 1996 on the inside.
purplepenny, does your May 1996 say May 1996 in the contents page?

Quote from: 'chookcity' pid='4227' dateline='1354407122'I am also missing May 1995 and April 1996. Does make one wonder. :scratch_one-s_head:

Yeah it does. There's a few mis-numberings late in the piece which is confusing. Do you have a May 1996?

Have May 1996 issue 381 ( with sticker )
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on December 02, 2012, 05:52:21 PM
Hm okay. What's the cover? Mine is light blue and has the Medals and Badges of the N.S.W Royal Agricultural Society.
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on December 02, 2012, 06:04:35 PM
My May 1996 stickered ACR has May 1996 in the contents. It's light blue cover with Royal Agricultural Society of NSW medal and cartoon hot air balloon basket. Is that the same?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on December 02, 2012, 08:09:05 PM
Yeah that's it. Under the sticker is says April. Is your sticker a paper rectangle with typed black writing too?
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: purplepennyhunter on December 02, 2012, 08:12:05 PM
Yep
Title: RE: Australian Coin Review and CAB Magazines
Post by: Mister T on December 03, 2012, 06:51:14 PM
Maybe I should have left the stickers intact.