Any thoughts on the Doctor Who coin being produced by the Perth Mint?
The packaging may be more interesting than the coin. It comes in a Tardis with sound effects. There are 11 other coins besides the Tardis coin featuring the 11 Doctors to date. All issued in the name of Niue Island.-John
Thanks mate
any info on the other coins - perhaps a link?
Here's a link with a picture of the Tardis coin. I can't find any pictures for the individual Doctor coins. It says the coin can be preordered, but I can't find that on the website mentioned either. - John
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/01/silver-coins-240113195619.html
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='18067' dateline='1371150046'It comes in a Tardis with sound effects. There are 11 other coins besides the Tardis coin featuring the 11 Doctors to date. All issued in the name of Niue Island.
*sigh*I love the show, but more
"collectible" junk depresses me. :(
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='18071' dateline='1371158178'Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='18067' dateline='1371150046'It comes in a Tardis with sound effects. There are 11 other coins besides the Tardis coin featuring the 11 Doctors to date. All issued in the name of Niue Island.
*sigh*
I love the show, but more "collectible" junk depresses me. :(
(http://www.parrotforums.com/attachments/macaws/3294d1331948614-hybrid-macaws-smiley-agree-2.gif)
I'm not buying any of it either. Dr Who has no connection to Niue Island. It's a blatant grab for money.-John
Downies Facebook says the coin will be available for pre-order online on the 17th (Monday) and offers email sign up for information about the other coins (as well as all their other products).-John
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='18129' dateline='1371182714'...has no connection to Niue Island. It's a blatant grab for money.
And when have they ever issued anything that wasn't in that category? Or any of the other Mickey-Mouse places PM make junk for?
Some were attractive before the price of silver went through the roof.-John
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='18190' dateline='1371205053'Some were attractive before the price of silver went through the roof.
Hmmmm... that's got me thinking now... I got suckered by that 10oz Midway
(or was it Coral Sea?) coin years ago. Worked out to about $35/oz so I'm still in the red of course, but maybe one day...
http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-2013-1oz-silver-proof-coin.aspx?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2013-JUN-NL3-Cust-All&utm_content=Doctor%20Who%20Coin%20and%20Case
-John
Hmmmmm.. I'm certain I have better uses for the grand or so the full set will end up costing. Besides, I have no idea where Nuie even is, and less desire to own any of their souvenir play-money. ;)
It doesn't sound like they would be selling the 11 Doctor coins individually, does it?-John
Supposedly Perth Mint is going to sell the TARDIS coin for only $115, which is considerably cheaper than what the NZ Mint is selling them at NZ$155 ($131).
http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-2013-1oz-silver-proof-coin.aspx
The Perth Mint price is $104.54 (AUS) before shipping charges. Downies is charging $115 (US) and $10 shipping. For buyers here in the US, Downies is the best option.-John
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='18490' dateline='1371462607'The Perth Mint price is $104.54 (AUS) before shipping charges. Downies is charging $115 (US) and $10 shipping. For buyers here in the US, Downies is the best option.-John
$104.54 is the price without GST, for overseas customers.
Sorry. Should have realized that. We get hit by exchange rates, additional 2-3% 'currency conversion' charges, and high shipping. After all that, Downies is a bargain.-John
does anyone really buy perth mint coins? they look nice high price
So anyway... opinions about the new Doctor? I'm gonna miss Matt.. nearly as much as the Ponds.
I got the coin - great conversation piece. Great presentation but sadly not an Australian coin.
As a "Whovian" I like the coin.
Downies posted this on their Facebook page:
Congratulations to Peter Capaldi, recently announced as the new Doctor by the BBC! To celebrate, Downies Block Arcade Coins in Melbourne are running a raffle – you could win this cardboard cut-out of the TARDIS! Visit the store and grab a couple of tickets for $2 each or get an entry free with the in store purchase of the spectacular Doctor Who coin, drawn August 31st!
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='24649' dateline='1376279931'...To celebrate, Downies Block Arcade Coins in Melbourne are running a raffle
Gotta love it when they
"celebrate" by lining their pockets with your money. :diablo:
Not
MY idea of a
celebration, that's fer shure... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rH4LFVLUg4
Has everyone been playing the Dr Who game on today's Google search page? Pretty cute... :)
(http://ausdroid.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Doctor-Who-Google-Screenshot.png)
The worldwide simulcast of DR WHO: THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR is set for 23 November at 1950 GMT. This is the 50th Anniversary program. That's 1:50 PM where I am. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it then. BBC America will rebroadcast it at 6 PM and 11 PM.
yep on it thanks John so i won't be around sunday morning :)
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='35115' dateline='1385116985'Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it then.
The torrent will be up very quickly after its gone to air. Why wait
(12 hours in our case)?
BTW, the BBC churned out a 10-part tie-in...
Doctor.Who.Greatest.Monsters.And.Villains.2013.E01.PDTV.x264-C4TV.mp4
|
Doctor.Who.Greatest.Monsters.And.Villains.2013.E10.PDTV.x264-C4TV.mp4
Yes, its a rehash of old stuff, but I guess its cool to have it all in one place as sort of a reference guide. :angel:
Didn't realise it was a game until you mentioned it Fulvio :blush:
Pedro
At the rate I'm going there going to need more than one new reincarnation of Doctor Who!
Pedro
Quote from: 'Pedro' pid='35122' dateline='1385119590'going to need more than one new reincarnation of Doctor Who!
Well, there are two...
Capaldi and Hurt
Nup. Need more than two! :dodgy:
Pedro
Quote from: 'Pedro' pid='35152' dateline='1385155390'Nup. Need more than two! :dodgy:
Well, was that enough for you???
I lost count... first there were two, then three, four, twelve, thirteen if you count crossed timelines...
Totally awesome, and completely unexpected, I gotta say. :)
yeah I liked it and thought it was pretty bloody good and will watch again tonight :good:
Quote from: 'ausjack' pid='35292' dateline='1385244306'will watch again tonight
Why wait?
http://eztv.it/ep/50012/bbc-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-the-day-of-the-doctor-720p-hdtv-x264-aristharry-mkv/
Its the 720p mkv, 2.2Gb, but a smaller one should be up very soon. I'll probably grab both, since the MacBook is on holiday chewing up my ex's bandwidth right now. ;)
Yes, that may have been enough Fulvio!
Production and special effects certainly have come a long way since the early days!
Pedro
gee have they what Pedro a long long way
The worldwide transmission time for The Time of the Doctor currently looks as follows: United Kingdom at 7:30pm GMT; Germany at 9:35pm CET (8:35pm GMT); Canada at 8:00pm EST (1:00am GMT); USA at 9:00pm EST (2:00am GMT); and Australia on Boxing Day at 7:30pm AEST (9:30am GMT).
Quote from: 'triplewitch' pid='36332' dateline='1386293019'Australia on Boxing Day at 7:30pm AEST (9:30am GMT).
Hah! The torrent will be downloaded and watched within a couple hours of the UK timeslot.
BTW, for those who missed some of these, here is a (far from complete) list of must-see shows to grab.
BBC.America.The.Science.of.Doctor.Who.2012.mp4
BBC.An.Adventure.In.Space.And.Time.2013.mp4
BBC.Doctor.Who.50th.Anniversary.Special.The.Day.of.the.Doctor.mp4
BBC.Me.You.And.Doctor.Who.2013.mp4
BBC.The.Science.of.Doctor.Who.2013.mp4
DrWho Live - The After Party 2013.mp4
DrWho.The Five-ish Doctors Reboot 2013.mp4
DrWho.The.Ultimate.Guide.2013.mp4
Quote from: 'Fulvio' pid='36333' dateline='1386296776'Hah! The torrent will be downloaded and watched within a couple hours of the UK timeslot.
BAH! Only the HD version got posted so far, so I had to resort to watching it on the ABC. :(
Kinda neat the way various loose threads were neatly tied off, including the exhausted regenerations
(though I seem to have misplaced one somewhere... I demand a recount!).
One question though...
Since both of them had to be naked to go to church, how come Clara's family didn't notice her clothes were illusionary when he sent her home?
The first time she never went to her home. She was frozen on the outside of the Tardis. I believe she changed into her clothes at some point upon her return to Trenzalore because she is seen wrapped in a blanket when the Doctor is showing her the sunrise and in her regular clothes after that, not the clothes she was wearing when she was naked. At any rate we never saw her reception immediately upon returning home with the turkey. We only saw a scene when the family was eating it with her prior to her second return to Trenzalore.
I think they're off on the regenerations too, but it's only a story. The second Doctor may not have technically regenerated (his appearance was changed but he never faced death), and the fourth Doctor was revived from the dead in the same form by the Sisterhood of Karn.
The Time Lords allowed the Master additional regenerations for doing much less.
It occurs to me that we still don't know the identity of the woman who initially gave Clara the Doctor's telephone number.
River Song, of course. :)
That's always been my suspicion.